POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Image maps : Re: Image maps Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:20:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Image maps
From: Chris B
Date: 15 Dec 2006 03:57:10
Message: <45826366$1@news.povray.org>
"David Instone" <d.i### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
>I am trying to apply an image to the surface of a box as so
>
> box { <-2, -0.5, -2>, <2, 0.55, 2>
>       pigment{image_map {sys "Test.bmp"} scale 1}
>       rotate y*45
>       translate<-25.5, 0, -25.5>
>   }
>
> But I am getting a series of verticle bars. Thinking this was due to a
> scaling problem I have added the scale and gone from 0.0001 to 10000. At
> extremes I get a solid color that might be a corner of the image but
> nothing
> else. Is there any way to work out how to scale the file to fit the box
> surface or am I going about this completely the wrong way. I really only
> want to place an image on the surface.
>
> Thanks

My guess is that you're projecting the image onto the edge of your box and
the lines are the continuation of the image through the box.
The image is projected onto an XY plane by default, so if you are looking at
the XZ plane of the box you would just get stripes.

If this is your problem, just try rotating the image:

  pigment{image_map {sys "Test.bmp"} scale 1 rotate x*90}

Which should place the image on the XZ plane, then you can rotate and
translate the box to wherever you want.

Regards,
Chris B.